Monday, January 23, 2012

And we're finally here...

After an extremely long day of traveling we finally made it to Florence. The flight from New York to Rome was about 9 hours, and I decided to take an ambien so I could sleep for most of the flight. Note to self: when you don't think the ambien is working, don't take more. I took a little too much and ended up hallucinating for more of the flight. Needless to say it was not the most comfortable experience I've ever had, though it made for some entertainment for Heather. We had a quick layover in Rome and then were off to Florence. Once we finally arrived and were waiting for our baggage, came the best (sarcasm) part of the day. After the same bags kept circling the baggage claim, someone from the airline told us that the rest of the bags were lost. Well, I only had gotten one of my bags so that was fun. We waited in line for them to basically tell us that our bags were all in Rome and we could get them tomorrow. Great start to the trip. While writing this I just realized that we never went through customs... hmmm. So after a few hours at the airport, we finally arrived at our apartment. We are on the second floor so only one flight of stairs for us, phew. We put down our stuff and went out to explore. Heather and I ended up stopping for lunch at some cafe, and had probably the worst pizza we'd ever tasted. Uncharacteristic of Italy, I know. Then we went to this store called Coin to get bedding and towels for our apartment. We ran into a bunch of people there including Allie, Alexa, and Lauren. Heather and Alexa went to go pick up their Italian phones, and I went back to their apartment. They are living with 8 girls so their apartment is HUGE. You can see pretty much all of Florence out their windows. After a nap on their couch, Heather and I went back to our apartment and are starting to get settled. After unzipping the one bag of mine that made it here, I realized I do not have my sheets or any shoes. Also, the adapters I got at radio shack are for Europeans coming to America. Seems just my luck today. Hopefully tonight will be fun and we can start this trip off right!

No comments:

Post a Comment